Dear Hartland Lakeside Staff and Parents,
I would like to express my sincere gratitude for your patience during the rigorous search process for a new superintendent. Over the past 6 months, the HLSD School Board has been searching to find a leader that fits our mission to provide a diverse and dynamic culture that meets the unique learning styles of all students.
I am thrilled to announce that our search has concluded. On Friday, June 30, 2023 we hired an exceptional leader, Tina Johnson, as the new superintendent to continue HLSD’s tradition of excellence. Her start date will be July 17, 2023 but she will be taking time to meet and get to know people prior to that.
Tina received her MA in Educational Leadership at St. Xavier University and her BME in Music Education and Vocal Performance at Wartburg College.
Tina has been the Director of Benefits Administration and Wellness for the last five years in the Janesville School District. She has been instrumental as a Senior Cabinet Member advising, reviewing, and contributing to all district-level decisions. Ms. Johnson has led key initiatives to strengthen student learning, staff well-being, and professional development.
Her past experience has included working as the Music Education K-12 Coordinator in Janesville, Principal of Rock University High School in Janesville, the Assistant Director of Administrative and Human Services in Janesville, RTI Coordinator/ Academic Interventionist at the Woods School in Lake Geneva, Pre K-8 Music Education, Fine Arts teacher at the Woods School in Lake Geneva, K-8th Music Education teacher in Green Oaks, Libertyville, IL and Music Coordinator, Choral, Asst. Band Director in McHenry High School in McHenry, IL.
Her diverse experience includes hiring and developing talent, team building, personalized learning, developing individualized behavior and academic intervention plans for all students 4K-8th, experience with Integrated Comprehensive Services, strategic planning, financial budgeting, and school security and safety.
Tina Johnson believes the culture of a school district should be where you know students by name, strengths, and needs. She expects that when someone walks into a school they can feel and recognize every student is loved. Tina describes herself as a relational and servant leader. The needs of the students is her first priority. She strongly believes in staff and student health and well-being.
She is intrigued with HLSD’s challenges and welcomes utilizing her training in mediation and conflict resolution to build stakeholder relationships to achieve compromise and optimal solutions.
The board believes that Tina Johnson brings a wealth of knowledge from her experience in multiple diverse educational roles. She will undoubtedly bring passion for students and desire to be part of the community. She has a collaborative spirit, is compassionate, assertive, thoughtful, and open to diverse ideas. After speaking to several co-workers, we heard a common theme. Our loss is your gain.
Ms. Johnson states:
“I am beyond thrilled to have been selected to serve the Hartland Lakeside students, staff, families, and community as their next Superintendent! I was drawn to Hartland Lakeside because of the unwavering commitment to excellence evidenced by their academic achievements, community involvement, and passionate educators; working toward the same goal: setting our children up for success not only in their education but for their future endeavors.
Thank you for accepting me into your family. I look forward to meeting you all very soon!”
The board would also like to thank the parents, community, and staff for participating in the stakeholder feedback platforms that were used to identify the priorities, skills, and characteristics that all feel are valuable in a superintendent for HLSD.
HLSD School Board
June 17, 2023:
- Added a Zoom option for the Community Forum (only in person attendees will have access to the QR code to complete the feedback survey)
- Provided clarifying details of this evening's process, including how the feedback survey results from the administrative/staff panel and the community forum will be shared with the Board when they are in closed session for review and discussion.
- Shared the finalist resumes for the interview process
May 24, 2023:
The Hartland Lakeside School Board encourages community members, families, and staff to attend the Community Forum on Thursday, May 25, 2023 at North Shore Middle School Presentation Room. The schedule for the evening as shown below. During the Community Forum the candidates will answer pre-submitted questions. The Community Forum will be facilitated by WASB Consultant George Steffen and will take place from 7:00-7:45 with David Munoz and 8:00-8:45 with Jerry Sardina.
May 21, 2023:
- The application portal has closed. The Board had a closed session meeting on May 8, 2023 to review the candidate's applications and to make the selection for the first round of interviews.
- Special Board Meetings will be held on May 16 and May 17 in closed session to interview the candidates who were selected.
- The survey closed on April 14, 2023 and the Board has received the results to review and take into consideration when building the candidate profile and reviewing the candidate applications.
- Focus Groups consisting of administration, School Board, teachers, support staff, and parents/community have been completed.
- Community Survey is active and will close on April 14, 2023.
- WASB has posted the Superintendent vacancy.
- The District brochure has been shared and the candidate portal is open to receive applications until April 28, 2023